Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The house is so quite:(

She started school this afternoon,
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
In the Kindergarten hall.
And as she took her place beside
the others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.
Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.
This little girl so much absorbed
In learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
To girlhood overnight.
My eyes were blurred but hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.
Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn’t understand.
And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.
But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.
And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play;
She’s not a baby anymore
–She’s in Kindergarten today.

6 comments:

Me and My Clan said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Even though Cody's still 3 years away from kindergarten, it still made me a little bit sad to think about while reading this, but it's also so sweet and exciting too. Oh motherhood! :)

Jennifer said...

Love the poem. Emma looks so grown up!

Jenny said...

She looks great, and so excited!
It was harder than I thought it would be to leave Jonah today. He had a great time at school though. Hope Emma is loving hers and that her Mom is doing okay without her helper.

Unknown said...

Love that poem! I can't believe our babies are in Kindergarten. Anna was so excited, but I am missing my little daytime buddy :(
...of course there are some perks to having no kids at home too, gotta look on the bright side, right?!

Katie said...

Thanks for making me cry. We will blame it on the pregnancy.

tuhine peggy said...

I love this poem & your choice pictures! What a special day! Thank you again for coming up to Bryan's homecoming. So good to see all of you. You have an adorable family.....Happy Thanksgiving!